Re: [Skytools-users] WAL Shipping + checkpoint

From: Sébastien Lardière <slardiere(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, skytools-users(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Skytools-users] WAL Shipping + checkpoint
Date: 2009-08-28 15:54:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On 28/08/2009 17:13, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Another check is "is it safe to do a checkpoint". This is logged with DEBUG2, so
>> it should be visible if you set the logging level accordingly.
>>
> This seems like the most likely cause. I would guess that one of your
> GiST indexes has a corruption in it and is preventing a restartpoint
> from taking place. That has happened previously.

You're right.

On the master, we had an error about a gist index on a ltree column :

Aug 25 09:07:02 eurovox-bdd postgres[5575]: [18-1]
user=eurovox,db=eurovox_db PANIC: failed to add item to index page in
"appels_entrants_arbo_key"

The cluster try to restart ( it fail ), i had to force to stop.

Since this moment, the slave didn't make any checkpoint.

Now, we know why. Thanks a lot !

But how can i fix it ?

--
Sébastien Lardière