Re: pretty print viewdefs

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pretty print viewdefs
Date: 2009-08-27 03:14:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> Greg Stark wrote:
>>
>>> At least if it's all on one line
>>> you can just not scroll to the right and see the rest of the query on
>>> your screen.
>>>
>> This is where the confusion arises.
>>
>> This is not possible on any terminal program I use - they don't scroll left
>> and right, they wrap, and the result in this case is horrible.
>>

> Well then you need a better terminal? Or you need to do your
> programming in a text editor and not a terminal?

I use emacs in its own window. And it too line wraps, although that can
be changed (I'm not a fan of line truncation mode, frankly). But I also
like to be able to read the viewdef, and I like to be able to cut and
paste it so it is sanely editable. And I'm not alone. If there are
embedded newlines in the column def that might be annoying, but what we
have now sucks majorly for anything but the most trivial of target lists.

cheers

andrew