Re: pretty print viewdefs

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pretty print viewdefs
Date: 2009-08-26 14:43:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> The tiny patch attached fixes a long-standing peeve of mine (and at
>> least one of my clients'), namely that the target list printed in
>> viewdefs are unreadable.
>>

> Personally I think this will take up enough vertical space to make
> things less readable on-screen, not more so. But that's just MHO.
> It probably depends a lot on the sorts of views you tend to look at...

Well, I could work out if the bit that will be added to the line will
run it over some limit (like 80 chars) and only put in the line break
then, but it would involve a lot more code.

When you're dealing with a view that has 40 or 50 fields, having them
all run together over a dozen or two lines is just horrible.

cheers

andrew