Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date: 2009-08-26 14:53:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> In general I'd not recommend that an init script go messing with the
> contents of the file, which it would have to do to
> have any of this logic in the script.
But LSB specifically provides the pidofproc function to extract the
pid info.
This brings me back round to what I was looking at recently -- the
possibility of trying to make an LSB-conforming init script for
PostgreSQL.  I'm having a lot of trouble, though, trying to get either
the postmaster or pg_ctl to behave well with the start_daemon function
implementations available to me.  Is there a fundamental mismatch
there, or am I probably just missing some crucial detail?  (The
killproc function seems to work just fine, however, as long as I use
the -p switch and give it the right signal.)
And there's the usual question: is there interest in such a script?