Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date: 2009-08-25 20:27:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The two ways I can see to do that are to add a command line switch
> to the postmaster, or to pass the PID as an environment variable,
> say "PG_GRANDPARENT_PID". The latter is a bit uglier but it would
> require touching much less code (and documentation).
>
> Thoughts?

You're thinking that pg_ctl would capture it's parent PID and pass it
to the postmaster one way or the other? That seems like it covers the
specific issue you were referencing up-thread. It has been bubbling
around in my head that we have other processes which run under the
same user ID for such things as vacuum and purge scripts, as well as
rsync of backup files. These would still create some risk of a false
match, right? Just a much smaller risk?

I was tinkering with the idea of having the init script use lsof to
pin it down more precisely. Does that sound remotely sane?

-Kevin