Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date: 2009-08-25 20:03:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>
>>> The reason is that we don't want certain other processes
>>> attempting to start until and unless the database they use has
>>> started successfully.
>>
>> This is something we're not quite ready on, yet.  We need some
>> mechanism that allows scripts to verify not only that postmaster
>> started, but also that it has finished recovery.  You can sort-of
>> do it by attempting a connection and checking the error message,
>> but it's ugly.  There was talk about a pg_ping utility years ago,
>> but nobody got around to writing it ...
>>
> Can't you use pg_controldata to see whether it is in recovery or
> not?  Seems like you've got a way to see if it's running, seeing if
> it is in recovery should therefore be pretty straightforward, no?

Thanks Andrew, Alvaro, and Chander.  You've given me some thoughts to
toss around.  Of course, any of these is going to be somewhat more
complex than using "set -e" and the following lines:

case $1 in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting PostgreSQL: "
        su - $PGUSER -c "$PGCTL start -w -D '$PGDATA' -l '$PGLOG'"
        echo "ok"
        ;;

But that's OK, if it yields better results.  :-)

-Kevin