Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date: 2009-08-25 19:34:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm.  As stated, I would expect pg_ctl to make it worse.

I've been playing with this, and I think the problem was that we
wanted a non-zero exit from the script if the start failed.  That's
trivial with pg_ctl -w but not running postgres directly.  I guess I
could run pg_ctl status in a loop after the start.

The reason is that we don't want certain other processes attempting to
start until and unless the database they use has started successfully.

-Kevin