Re: BUG #4996: postgres.exe memory consumption keeps going up

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Shivesh Wangrungvichaisri <sbw(at)appsig(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4996: postgres.exe memory consumption keeps going up
Date: 2009-08-23 02:37:49
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
On 19/08/2009 11:50 PM, Shivesh Wangrungvichaisri wrote:

> Logged by:          Shivesh Wangrungvichaisri
> Email address:      sbw(at)appsig(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
> Operating system:   Windows XP x64 / Windows 7 x64

>   - Example code that should demonstrate the problem:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1280513/posgressql-memory-leaque (note we
> use Intel TBB to launch threads..you can use whatever thread library you
> want.)

I went to build your example for testing, but found that the threading
library you use isn't freely available. Any chance you can post a
version using the standard win32 threading calls and test that version
to make sure it still exhibits the problem?

(I do a little bit of programming on Windows, but all of it is
cross-platform code that sticks to POSIX APIs or uses the Qt library, so
I never have to touch the actual win32 bits and know very little about
things like win32's threading. As such, if I try converting it myself I
won't be confident I'm really accurately testing the same thing you are).

--
Craig Ringer