Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date: 2009-08-19 18:39:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> ... for the simple reason that nobody is maintaining it.  Wheeler just
> pointed out to me today that the OSX startup script hasn't been updated
> since 7.4 and contains misinformation and dangerous scripting.
>
> Other startup scripts there are equally dilapidated, and aren't used by
> the linux distros regardless.

IMHO, those scripts (at least the Linux one) has great value.  There are
numerous people that compile and install from source, and for them at
least some of these scripts are used quite a bit.

AFAIK, the Linux one is functional (yes, sub-optimal in some ways, but
it works just fine)...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.