Re: machine-readable explain output v4

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mike <ipso(at)snappymail(dot)ca>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: machine-readable explain output v4
Date: 2009-08-11 19:59:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Mike <ipso(at)snappymail(dot)ca> writes:
>
>> Have any tool authors stepped up and committed resources to utilizing
>> this feature in the near term?
>>

> I don't think anyone's promised much. If you want to have a go at using
> it, we'd be very happy.
>

>> I'm guessing that my vision likely exceeds the scope of this feature in
>> its initial form at least, but assuming no one else has stepped up, I'm
>> more than willing to start committing resources as early as this
>> weekend with the understanding that this feature is still in
>> development and likely will change several times before or if its
>> finally committed for 8.5.
>>

> It's definitely committed for 8.5, but the exact format of the output
> is (obviously) still subject to change.

Good. I had a look at this for a little while yesterday. I built it, did
an install, loaded auto_explain and then ran the regression tests. I
didn't like the output much. It looks like the XML has been dumbed down
to fit a data model that works for JSON as well, particularly in the
lack of use of attributes. An XML processor won't care that much, but
humans will certainly find it more tiresome to read. In effect we are
swapping horizontal expansion for vertical expansion. It would be nicer
to be able to fit a plan into a screen.

I also took the last relaxng spec I could find and used a nice little
tool called Trang to translate it into an XML Schema spec. The good news
is that that worked. The bad news is that the spec almost certainly
needs some tightening, especially around those elements that probably
should be XML attributes.

cheers

andrew