Re: "Hot standby"?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Hot standby"?
Date: 2009-08-11 17:08:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter,

I believe we're just copying Oracle's terminology. While that
terminology is not consistent, it is understood by the industry. Oracle
defined their Hot Standby to have both asynchronous and synchronous modes:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/rdb/htdocs/dbms/hotstandby.html

The other industry term which would be understood would be "log-based
replication". Terms we invent would be less likely to be understood,
and users would not get excited about them.

Otherwise, I say we go with "simmering follower". ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.