Re: pgsql: Improve error messages in md.c.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Improve error messages in md.c.
Date: 2009-08-06 06:15:34
Lists: pgsql-committers

Tom Lane wrote:
> While reading your commit message, it occurred to me that perhaps a
> small wording tweak would help. How about 'could not read block 150000
> in file "foo"', rather than "of" file foo? This states correctly that
> the block is *in* that file, without implying that the naming of the
> block is relative to the file.
>
> The distinction might be a bit too subtle to help non-native speakers
> of English, but it seems to me to read a little better that way.

Heh, I had exactly the same idea, and did that in the commit already
:-). I'm glad you thought of it too. Me being a non-native speaker of
English myself I was not sure how it comes across to someone who is.

Perhaps I should've mentioned it in the commit message though, to make
note of the subtle difference for future readers of the code.

--
Heikki Linnakangas