Re: Point in Time Recovery (WAL) archive_command

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "ml ml" <mliebherr99(at)googlemail(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Point in Time Recovery (WAL) archive_command
Date: 2009-07-31 13:45:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

ml ml <mliebherr99(at)googlemail(dot)com> wrote:

> i am using the following archive command:
> archive_command = '/usr/bin/rsync -a -F /data/pgsql/%p
> pgsql(at)pg-backup:/restore/walfiles/'
>
> Which works perfectly so far. My problem now is, what happens if the
> "pg-backup" server is down for some time and the archove command can
> not copy the wal files to the destination anymore? Can i manually
> sync the not transfered files? If yes, which ones do i need to copy?

The relevant part of the fine manual says:

"It is important that the archive command return zero exit status if
and only if it succeeded. Upon getting a zero result, PostgreSQL will
assume that the file has been successfully archived, and will remove
or recycle it. However, a nonzero status tells PostgreSQL that the
file was not archived; it will try again periodically until it
succeeds."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL

If you do that, you don't have to worry about any extra copying. If
you don't, the files you need might be gone by the time the
connectivity recovers.

-Kevin