Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz, Rauan Maemirov <rauan(at)maemirov(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date: 2009-07-30 16:58:20
Lists: pgsql-performance
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> benchmarks I've seen suggest that with 8 cores you may even see an
>> almost 8x restore speedup
>>

> I'm curious what sort of data in what environment showed that ratio.

Was going on memory from a presentation I watched. Reports on the web
have shown anything from a 3x increase using 8 cores to other
non-detailed reports of "up to" 8x improvement. If you have one big
table, don't expect much if any improvement. If you have lots of smaller
tables/indexes then parallel restore will probably benefit you. This is
all based on the not-atypical assumption that your restore will be CPU
bound. I don't think parallel restore will be much use beyond the point
you hit IO limits.

Cheers,
Steve