Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Matthew Wakeling" <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date: 2009-07-30 17:35:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Hmmm ... AFAIR there isn't a good reason for dump to custom format
> to take longer than plain text dump, except for applying
> compression.  Maybe -Z0 would be worth testing?  Or is the problem
> that you have to write the data to a disk file rather than just
> piping it?

I'm not sure without benchmarking that.  I was writing to the same
RAID as the database I was dumping, so contention was probably a
significant issue.  But it would be interesting to compare different
permutations to see what impact each has alone and in combination.

I'm OK with setting up a benchmark run each night for a while, to
shake out what I can, on this and the artificial cases.

-Kevin