Is there any known issue with MS-Office >2000 fetching Data?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is there any known issue with MS-Office >2000 fetching Data?
Date: 2009-07-30 04:36:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi,
sure it's kind of OT but please bear with my question a wee bit.
Perhaps you know a better place to ask PG, ODBC + Access questions?

I work on this Access app. that occasionally has to export to (the one
and only globally accepted data transport container) Excel.

My work pc has PostgreSQL 8.4 + psqlODBC 8.4 as well as Office 2000
installed.
So my app does the usual chore ... get a connection and a readonly
recordset ... open a excel-file ... try to dump with CopyFromRecordset
into a range-object of Excel.
Connection: tried with Client- and ServerCursor
Recordset: adLockReadOnly,  adOpenForwardOnly  or adOpenStatic

Then MY own pc gets the job done sooner or later even when I let it talk
to the remote 8.3.5 server via a ssh-tunnel.

My vnc-pc at work has odbc 8.4 but Office 2003 and the above mentioned
8.3.5 server in the LAN.
There those transfers wont go through.
They dump between 1 to x lines where x can be rather high sometimes.
Then comes "Method CopyFromRecordset for the object Range failed.

Especially Views are bad.
Plain selects tend to do better than   select * from my_view   type queries.
Even sql-functions do better. It still crashes but goes way further than
the same select in a view.

By the way ... someone with Vista-Business and Office 2007 has the same
problems.

regards
Andreas

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Relyea, MikeDate: 2009-07-31 20:05:23
Subject: Re: 08.04.0100 build error on Fedora 11