Re: Encoding from CopyManager.copyIn()

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Markus Kickmaier <markus(dot)kickmaier(at)apus(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encoding from CopyManager.copyIn()
Date: 2009-07-28 05:40:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Markus Kickmaier wrote:
> Thanks for the Responses Daniel and Kris,
>
> but i just don't get it work. I know now what exactly my problem is.
> I have a SQL_ASCCI encoded database. The JDBC driver uses UNICODE as client_encoding. So if i want to copy an 'umlaut' like ü into a table i get the error: invalid byte sequence for UTF8...
>
> If i test this in pgAdmin it is the same. But if i set client_encoding to 'SQL_ASCII' in pgAdmin it works fine.
> Trying this for my JDBC connection i get a PSQL Exception saying that the client_encoding parameter was changed to SQL_ASCII and the JDBC driver just works correctly with UNICODE.
>
> Any ideas? I'm rather sure it would work if JDBC would let me use SQL_ASCII.

You should convert your database to an appropriate encoding for the data
it contains (perhaps LATIN1?). If the database encoding is SQL_ASCII,
the JDBC driver has no way of knowing how to convert bytes >127 to
Java's UTF-16 String representation.

Basically, SQL_ASCII is only going to work with the JDBC driver if you
only store 7-bit ASCII, or if you happen to be very lucky and have all
clients everywhere use a client_encoding of UNICODE.

-O