Re: Text search language field

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: PGSQL-Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Text search language field
Date: 2012-05-16 23:34:32
Lists: pgsql-novice
--As of May 12, 2012 8:08:42 PM -0400, PGSQL-Novice is alleged to have said:
> Tables:
> Resource:
>     "text_element"	text,
>     "text_search"	tsvector,
>     "language"		char varying(3) references "languages"
> languages  (This is 'static' list of ISO 639-3 codes, to make sure
> everything uses the same codes):
>     "code" character varying(3) primary key,
>     "description" character varying(100)

> The trigger currently throws an error 'column "language" is not of
> regconfig type' whenever I try to use it, and I'm looking for the best
> way to solve that.  The 'simple' solution of 'create text search
> configuration eng ( copy = pg_catalog.english );' didn't work.  Before I
> start into a long exploration into why and what should be done about it,
> I thought I'd seek wisdom.  ;)

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Ok, after a bit of exploration, there are two problems with my current

The 'config_column_name' passed to 'tsvector_update_trigger_column' cannot
be a text column.

The config in the config column must be fully qualified.  (So I can't use
'english', I'd have to use 'pg_catalog.english'.)

Combined, these mean I it's probably not worth trying to use the column to
tell both my app and Postgresql what language is being used.  So, anyone
have any ideas on how to write a trigger to pull the field from the
language table based on the code?

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.