Re: SE-PostgreSQL?

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SE-PostgreSQL?
Date: 2009-07-24 06:00:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> I think the best thing for this patch right now is to move it to
> "Returned with Feedback". I can't see any way that this patch is
> going to be made committable for this CommitFest, and I think that
> pretending otherwise is only encouraging KaiGai to do another of his
> lighting rework-and-resubmits. While those are very impressive,
> they're not getting us where we need to be. I think that what KaiGai
> needs to do here is get the spec written (with the help of Greg
> Williamson and anyone else who is willing to pitch in), and submit it
> for comments. I don't think there will be a problem getting that
> reviewed outside of a CommitFest, and it's not a patch anyway, so the
> time that it gets submitted is not crucial. What is crucial is that
> it is a good spec that everyone can read, and hopefully understand and
> discuss. There is no point writing any more code, or submitting any
> more patches, until we have agreement on what those patches are
> supposed to do.

I also agree that the easy understandable specification what SE-PostgreSQL
tries to achieve is more important than implementation.

I described it from the scratch again.
Here is an initial draft:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SEPostgreSQL_Draft

I would like to improve documentation quality and fix its specification
during the discussion.

> I am going to go ahead and mark this as "Returned with Feedback".

Agreed.

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC