Re: Higher TOAST compression.

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Laurent Laborde" <kerdezixe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Higher TOAST compression.
Date: 2009-07-23 14:45:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Laurent Laborde <kerdezixe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> (iostat show a 5~25MB/s bandwidth at 100%util instead of 2~5MB/s at
> 100%util).

Any numbers for overall benefit at the application level?

> So... now i'm not sure anymore about lowering the tuple per page
> om 4 to 8.
> Doing that would mean more data in TOAST table ...

Yeah, I've been skeptical that it would be a good thing for your
situation unless the lower target only applied to more aggressive
compression, not out-of-line storage.

If you can wait for a week or two, I can give you a "proof of concept"
patch to use separate targets for compression and out-of-line storage.
It would be interesting to see how much that helps when combined with
your more aggressive compression configuration.

-Kevin