Re: revised hstore patch

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: revised hstore patch
Date: 2009-07-22 01:10:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Gierth wrote:
> The code already has users who are using it for audit-trail stuff
> (easily computing the changes between old and new records and storing
> only the differences). Perhaps one of the existing users could express
> an opinion on this point.

I use it for exactly that purpose (and it works extremely well). I'm not
sure we have any values > 64k, though, and certainly our keys are tiny -
they are all column names. OTOH, that could well be an annoying
limitation, and would be easily breached if the changed field were some
binary object like an image or a PDF.

I rather like your idea of doing a convert-on-write, if you can reliably
detect that the data is in the old or new format.

cheers

andrew