Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)
Date: 2009-07-17 08:38:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jaime Casanova wrote:

> i did it myself, i think this is something we need...
>
> this compile and seems to work... something i was wondering is that
> having the total time of lock waits is not very accurate because we
> can have 9 lock waits awaiting 1 sec each and one awaiting for 1
> minute... simply sum them all will give a bad statistic or am i
> missing something?

Thank you Jaime - looks good. I seem to have been asleep at the wheel
and missed *both* of your emails until now, belated apologies for that
- especially the first one :-(

With respect to the sum of wait times being not very granular, yes -
quite true. I was thinking it is useful to be able to answer the
question 'where is my wait time being spent' - but it hides cases like
the one you mention. What would you like to see? would max and min wait
times be a useful addition, or are you thinking along different lines?

Cheers

Mark