Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5
Date: 2009-07-02 15:01:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

>> so the new minimum supported version would probably be 2.5.33

We still have five SuSE Enterprise 9 boxes in use as database servers;
while we've got someone tasked with replacing them, I wonder if that
version is so dead that we want to abandon support for it.

kgrittn(at)INHOUSEAPPS:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (i586)
VERSION = 9
PATCHLEVEL = 3
kgrittn(at)INHOUSEAPPS:~> flex --version
flex version 2.5.4

Of course, one could always download source for a more recent version
and build and install flex that way.  (We do that for PostgreSQL
itself and libpoppler.)  If someone's willing to build PostgreSQL,
perhaps it's reasonable to require them to build flex first?

-Kevin