Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-07-01 00:02:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> I haven't objected to "the whole idea". Surveys are good, and I've
> proposed a plan to deliver one, that has clear backing.

Yes, and I believe that the survey you propose, when it's delivered,
will be superior to this one.  The fact that we're going to do a better
survey 1 or 2 months from now is no reason not to do an OK survey now.

It's not like we're limited to doing 1 survey per year for some reason.

> What is so important about this that it should be railroaded through at
> the last minute? What was wrong with a community project? I've explained
> a reason why we should wait a month; you've not explained why haste is
> important.

During the next 2 weeks, PostgreSQL.org will have more traffic than it
will for the rest of the year.  This gives us an opportunity to hear
from *more* users than we will a month from now.

However, to allieviate some of your concerns, JD has duplicated the
survey on postgresql.us so that we can have the survey on a site we control.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.