Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-06-30 22:18:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Josh,

>> We could have a survey up on pugs in 30 minutes.
>>

> Or .US for that matter.

Yeah, don't have much time to test though.

EDB has an account with SurveyMethods, which should be able to scale to
as many people want to take it.

The new set of questions and options is below my Sig.  I think you'll
find that the "EDB Content" is gone.  There's a few question fixes still
pending, but this is largely what it'll be.

My thought was, just put it up in News, and I may put a link in my blog
since I've worked on it some.

Simon isn't OK with it even so ... others?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

1.

How long have you been using PostgreSQL?

	Less than 1 year
	1 to 2 years
	2 to 5 years
	5 years or more
*2.

What do you use PostgreSQL for?

	Personal
	Business – Internal applications and operations
	Business – in products which we sell
	Government
	Non-Profit / NGO
	Education
  If other, please specify
3.

If you answered either ‘Business’ above, what kind of business is your
company in (select all that apply) ?

	Producing Software
	Commercial Website or Web Infrastructure
	IT Consulting or Services
	Non-IT Consulting or Services
	Retail
	Manufacturing
  If other, please specify
*4.

What other databases do you use in the above capacity (select all that
apply)?

	DB/2
	Sybase
	Informix
	MySQL
	Ingres
	None
	Oracle
	SQL Server
  If other, please specify
*5.

What size is your organization in terms of revenue?

	Non-profit or Government
	Less than $250K
	$250K to 1M
	1 to $10M
	10 to $100M
	$100M or more

What size is your organization in terms of people?

	Less than 10
	101 to 1000
	1000 or more
*7.

How large is your primary database (the database most closely tied to
your organization's operations or business)? If you have a clustered
database, or have partitioned your database across multiple servers,
please estimate total size.

	Less than 1GB
	1 to 10GB
	11 to 100GB
	100GB to 1TB
	1 to 10 TB
	10 TB or more
*8.

On how many servers are you running PostgreSQL supporting production
applications?

	None
	1
	2 to 4
	5 to 10
	11 to 50
	51 or more
*9.

How many application end users does the primary database support?

	Less than 100
	100 to 1000
	1000 to 10K
	10K to 100K
	100K or more
*10.

How many transactions does the primary database process per day?

	Less than 1000
	1K to 10K
	10 to 100K
	100K to 1M
	1 to 10M
	10M or more

Which vendor manufactured your database server hardware (check all that
apply)?

	HP
	Dell
	IBM
	MAC
	Sun
	Rackable
	Self-built (whitebox) servers
	Hosted in 3rd-party Data Center or Cloud
  If other, please specify
*12.

On what operating system does your primary database run?

	Windows
	Apple OSX
	Solaris
	AIX
	FreeBSD
	HP-UX
	Linux
	Windows
	MAC
	Solaris
	AIX
	Linux
  If other, please specify
*13.

What type of applications is the primary database used for?

	OLTP or e-Commerce
	Web Content Management / Collaboration / Social Network
	Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing / Information Publishing
	Web Services / Supply Chain Automation / Business Integration
	Geographic Applications and Services
*14.

Of the following PostgreSQL feature and tool categories, please pick the
two where new features, tools, and further development would matter the
most to your organization.

	Large database features (partitioning, parallel query, etc.)
	Horizontal Scalability (master-slave replication, async clustering)
	High Availability (hot standby, failover, load balancing)
	Administrative Tools (management tools, backup, monitoring)
	OLTP Performance (tranactions per second)
	Modules and deployment management (contrib, disk images, installers,
3rd-party modules)
	Security (encrypted database, SEPostgres, Role-based management)
	Advanced Features (SQL/MED, XML, special data types)
	Geographic Database (PostGIS)
*15.

Do you, or would you, use a paid-licenses enhanced version of
PostgreSQL, such as Postgres Plus Advanced Server, Mammoth PostgreSQL,
Truviso, or Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL?

	No, we only use pure open source PostgreSQL.
	Yes, if it offered compelling enough features.
	Yes, we're currently evaluating one.
	Yes, we already use one.

If you answered any "yes" option in Question 15 above, please check the
products which you use or are evaluating:

	Postgres Plus Advanced Server
	Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL
	Truviso
	Mammoth PostgreSQL
	Greenplum
	Aster Data
	Paraccel
  If other, please specify
17.

If you answered any "yes" option in Question 16 above, please choose
your primary reason for using this enhanced version of PostgreSQL?

	Features mainstream PostgreSQL doesn't have, like streaming or clustering.
	Packaging, integration and deployment
	Support and Quality assurance.
	Included Management Tools
	General Performance