Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 18:41:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Now that 8.4.0 is out the door, development for 8.5devel will be opened any
> day now.  But we haven't discussed the development timeline so far.  The core
> team has several proposals:
>
> CommitFest      Alpha
> Aug. 1          Sept. 1
> Oct. 1          Nov. 1
> Dec. 1          Jan ~~ 5
> Feb. 1          March 4
>
> Release ~ May 2010
>
> This puts us on track for a release at the same time next year, maybe a little
> earlier.

One thing Peter forgot to mention here is that the next-to-last
commitfest is the *last* commitfest for new major features.  For the
*last* commitfest, any patch introduced either has to be a resubmission
of something we've seen at a prior CF, or has to be very "small" (i.e.
not many lines/files, no side effects, no API or defined standard API).

This makes the next-to-last CF our "biggest" CF.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.