Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 14:46:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> Well, think about what could happen if we go this way.  What you
> basically have here are people who have essentially ignored the
> commitfest and beta mandates and worked on new patches.  And they
> now get to say, because we already have enough patches, let's start
> the commit fest early.

Well, patches started going onto the wiki page for this commit fest
over seven months ago.  Early review takes on a different meaning in
this context.  I think the basic problem with the schedule at this
point is that we're releasing six months past the planned date; kinda
throws things off.  The question is how to get back on track and avoid
that for 8.5.

You probably have a point in that some of the patches came from people
who might have been able to help more in the review and commit
process, but I think some people lack the confidence to take on that
role; and with the features that dragged out the release half-way to
what would have been our next release date, there probably aren't many
who could have made useful contributions to the review process.

-Kevin