Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 13:50:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Waiting until September for the first CommitFest seems like a really
> bad idea.   We already have almost 40 patches on the wiki page, and
> there are some that haven't been added yet: I suspect we will have
> over 50 in another week, and maybe closer to 60.  If we wait two
> months, we're likely to have 100 patches or more, which will be a
> reviewing effort that I don't like to think about.  It will also
> increase the number of patches that collide in mid-air.  So at the
> very latest, the first CommitFest should start August 1.
>
> However, if anything, I think if anything we should go the other way
> and start the first CommitFest July 15th.

I'm curious what the counter-arguments to this are.  Is it
review-fatigue from getting the release out, or is there an economy of
scale to building up a 100 patches before starting to review?  Would
reviewing these get some contributors moving again, thus boosting the
total work hours available for the 8.5 release?  Would it pull people
off of WIP?

-Kevin