Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier
Date: 2009-06-30 03:39:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Greg,

> Well I don't understand how you get them wrong if you're just pasting
> them from a file. I mean, sure you can pick the wrong template but
> nothing can help you there. You could just as easily pick the wrong
> template if it's a database feature instead of a text file.

I really have to wonder if you've ever managed a production database
project.

As someone who has managed quite a few, my idea of the feature is
designed to make my life (and my clients') easier.  It's *vastly* easier
to tell developers "don't touch the permissions, it will take care of
itself" and set it in a central location than to expect them to remember
to apply a set of permissions each time, or follow them around playing
catch-up on the objects they add and modify.

Oracle, MSSQL, etc. all have management solutions for this.  For a good
reason.

> "Agile" doesn't mean doing things without thinking about them :)

In many companies it does.  :-(

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.