pg_restore -t table concerns

From: Mike Toews <mwtoews(at)sfu(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_restore -t table concerns
Date: 2009-06-29 17:18:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hey hackers,

I have a few concerns with the usability and documentation for
pg_restore (note: I'm on 8.3, but I've checked the documentation for 8.4).

In my attempts to restore a table (using -t) from a backup file with -v
(verbose) selected, I noticed a few things:

   1. If a non-existent table is used, e.g., "-t idontexist" no warnings
      are thrown. (It took me a while to figure out why a table was not
      being restored, since no warnings were issued.)
   2. It appears that the -t (table) option does not allow full table
      names, such as "myschema.mytable", however this is not stated in
      the documentation for -t table. Is it possible to allow -t table
      to accept [schema.]table qualifiers? If not, the documentation
      should at least suggest that "-n namespace" be used to specify the
      schema where the table resides.
   3. It appears the the default for -n namespace uses the default_path
      variable (typically "public"). However, I'm only guessing this
      based on the behaviour, and it isn't mentioned in the
      documentation for -n namespace.

Thanks for any input, and apologies if this has already been discussed.

-Mike