Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier
Date: 2009-06-28 22:28:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

>>> I'm missing what's wrong with a wild-card GRANT syntax for this
>>> case.
>>>
>> Without a major change in the way we do permissions, it will not
>> work  prospectively.  We have no way ATM to store permissions for an
>> object  that does not currently exist.
>>

> There have been previous discussions of prospective permissions
> changes.  Are we restarting them here?

*shrug*

It's not on the TODO list. I recall it being raised from time to time
but I certainly don't recall a consensus that it should be done, nor
how, so if you're implying that such a thing is a settled decision I
suspect you're not entirely correct. Of course, my memory has been known
to have errors ...

cheers

andrew