Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode
Date: 2009-06-25 19:37:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> +1, I think that's okay.  So to summarize the state of play, it seems
> we have these issues:
>
> * need to delete startup process's local pendingOpsTable once bgwriter
> is launched, so that requests go to bgwriter instead
>
> * need to push end-of-recovery checkpoint into bgwriter
>
> * need to do something about IsRecovery tests that will now be executed
> in bgwriter

Yep, that's all I have in mind.

> * need to fix mistaken code in FinishPreparedTransaction

This one I committed already.

> Are you (Heikki and Simon) in a position to finish these things today?
> I know it's starting to get late on your side of the pond.  Core have
> already been discussing whether we have to abort the release for this.

I'm planning to finish this today still. Assuming no new issues are
found, it won't take long to finish the patch, and then it needs an hour
or two of testing. If there's any new issues, it will have to wait 'till
tomorrow since after a few hours I won't be able to think straight anymore.

I'm not familiar with the release process so I don't have an opinion on
what to do about the release.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas