Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bhushan Verma <verma(dot)bhushan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
Date: 2009-06-24 12:25:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-novice

Bhushan Verma wrote:
>>> postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
> I am using the same command as you said.

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on how to get the core dump then.

You could also try attaching gdb to the backend process before it
crashes, and get the backtrace from there. Something along the lines of:

postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
psql postgres ...
ps ax | grep postgres # check the PID of the backend process psql is
connected to.
gdb
gdb> attach <pid of backend>
gdb> cont
<run the query in psql that crashes>
gdb> bt

You still haven't posted the offending query, BTW. Is it a particular
one, or does it crash at random?

--
Heikki Linnakangas