Re: BUG #4877: LDAP auth allows empty password string

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Richard Tector <richard(at)tector(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4877: LDAP auth allows empty password string
Date: 2009-06-24 11:45:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Richard Tector wrote:

> Bug reference: 4877
> Logged by: Richard Tector
> Email address: richard(at)tector(dot)org(dot)uk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
> Operating system: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p1
> Details:
>
> In general the client libraries for PostgreSQL error if an empty password is
> used. The JDBC drivers do not, and this has uncovered a problem with the
> server's LDAP authentication code.
>
> When authenticating against Active Directory using the method:
> ldap "ldap://osiris.capl.local/dc=capl,dc=local;CAPL\"
> Authentication is successful with both the correct password and an empty
> password, so long as a valid user is supplied. Using a non-existent username
> or an incorrect password correctly produces an error and the logon fails.

Since this is a security related report, it should have been reported to
security(at)postgresql(dot)org, as specified on the web form you used.

For this reason, we will follow this up on that forum, and post a public
followup once the issue has been investigated.

--
Magnus Hagander
Self: http://www.hagander.net/