tsvector_update_trigger performance?

From: Chris St Denis <lists(at)on-track(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: tsvector_update_trigger performance?
Date: 2009-06-24 07:20:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Is tsvector_update_trigger() smart enough to not bother updating a
tsvector if the text in that column has not changed?

If not, can I make my own update trigger with something like

if new.description != old.description
return tsvector_update_trigger('fti_all', 'pg_catalog.english',
'title', 'keywords', 'description');
else
return new;

or do I need to do it from scratch?

I'm seeing very high cpu load on my database server and my current
theory is that some of the triggers may be causing it.