Re: [sysadmins] List moderation - need a break!

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, sysadmins <sysadmins(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [sysadmins] List moderation - need a break!
Date: 2009-06-23 15:03:04
Lists: pgsql-www

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Magnus Hagander<magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

>>> I'm okay with a dedicated instance of spamassassin running in
>>> mail.postgresql.org so that it can be more tailored / configured to mark
>>> spam going through to the moderators ...
>> So you're still not accepting that the mail services are a community service
>> and resource. Ok, sorry to hear that, but good to know.
>>
>> In that case, the the statement by Dave still stands - this does not fix the
>> actual issue. It does paint over one crack a bit, but it does nothing to fix
>> the structural problem.
>
> Since I'm new here, what is the structural problem?

Well, as Dave said earlier: everything about the email handling is
deeply integrated in the hub.org systems.

Which are not maintained by the community (they're maintained by hub.org
== Marc (who is a member of the community of course, but that doesn't
make it a community service)), not documented (at least not in a way
that is available and useful to the community), designed with all of
hub.org in mind and not focused on the needs of postgresql.org etc.

The only part that is running on a community managed VM is the majordomo
install. Relay in *and* out of it, spamfilter, graylisting, etc, etc, is
all hub.org.

Feel free to browse the archives for previous discussions on this topic :-P

--
Magnus Hagander
Self: http://www.hagander.net/