Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered dataunusable

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Jakov Sosic" <jakov(dot)sosic(at)srce(dot)hr>
Subject: Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered dataunusable
Date: 2009-06-17 13:58:11
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jakov Sosic <jakov(dot)sosic(at)srce(dot)hr> wrote:

> Great thing about package managers is that they resolve all your
> dependencies, that they provide working binaries, that they install
> much faster, that they are searched for in consistent way, etc etc.

I find that when we upgrade to a new major release of PostgreSQL, we
almost always need to have both the old and new major releases
installed at the same time.  That overlap may only need to exist for a
few hours, or it may need to persist for months.  Any installation
solution which doesn't support that pattern can't be used by many.
You might want to consider some way to support that.

-Kevin