Re: Delayed Write Failed

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: mcronix <mcronix(at)hotmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Delayed Write Failed
Date: 2009-06-02 16:27:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

mcronix wrote:
> Hi
> First time poster and complete postgres noob. I basically only ever use it
> along side an online poker database program, Holdem manager - I've been
> running postgres 8.2 with HEM for ages now, with no problems, when earlier
> today I had a window popup from the task bar saying Delayed Write Failed,
> and then gave a file path in the postgres data\base\ folder. I was using the
> poker program at the time and this kept happening 5-6 times before I stopped
> to investigate.

a 'delayed write' error is a system error (Windows, not Postgres) caused
when it gets a disk error trying to write buffered data. these can be
caused by various things, including a hardware problem with your disk drive.

this also means your postgres database is likely corrupted, as some data
that was supposed to be written to its data files couldn't be written to
disk.