Re: dot to be considered as a word delimiter?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <shamnad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: dot to be considered as a word delimiter?
Date: 2009-06-02 01:22:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sushant Sinha <sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think that dot should be considered by as a word delimiter because
> when dot is not followed by a space, most of the time it is an error
> in typing. Beside they are not many valid english words that have
> dot in between.

It's not treating it as an English word, but as a host name.

select ts_debug('english', 'Mr.J.Sai Deepak');
ts_debug
(host,Host,Mr.J.Sai,{simple},simple,{mr.j.sai})
(blank,"Space symbols"," ",{},,)
(asciiword,"Word, all
ASCII",Deepak,{english_stem},english_stem,{deepak})
(3 rows)

You could run it through a dictionary which would deal with host
tokens differently. Just be aware of what you'll be doing to
www.google.com if you run into it.

I hope this helps.

-Kevin