Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-06-01 17:43:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

a newish conversion with cvs2git is available to check here:

git://www.bluegap.ch/

(it's not incremental and will only stay for a few days)

For everybody interested, please check the committer names and emails.
I'm missing the names and email addresses for these committers:

'barry' : ('barry??', ''),
'dennis' : ('Dennis??', ''),
'inoue' : ('inoue??', ''),
'jurka' : ('jurka??', ''),
'pjw' : ('pjw??', ''),

And I'm guessing that 'peter' is the same as 'petere':

'peter' : ('Peter Eisentraut (?)', 'peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net'),

I've compared all branch heads and all tags with a cvs checkout. The
only differences are keyword expansion errors. Most commonly the RCS
version "1.1" is used in the resulting git repository, instead of
version "1.1.1.1". This also leads to getting dates wrong ($Date keyword).

I'm unsure on how to test Tom's requirement that every commit and its
log message is included in the resulting git repository. Feel free to
clone and inspect the mentioned git repository and propose improvements
on the cvs2git options used.

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> Yes, but the point is you want an exact replica of CVS right? You're
> git repo should have $PostgreSQL$ and the cvs export/checkout (you do
> use -kk right) should also have $PostgreSQL$.

No, I'm testing against cvs checkout, as that's what everybody is used to.

> But it's important, because on *some* files you *do* want expanded
> "keywords" (like the $OpenBSD ... Exp $. One of the reasons pg CVS went
> to the $PostgreSQL$ keyword (I'm guessing) was so they could explictly
> de-couple them from other keywords that they didn't want munging on.

I don't care half as much about the keyword expansion stuff - that's
doomed to disappear anyway.

What I'm much more interested in is correctness WRT historic contents,
i.e. that git log, git blame, etc.. deliver correct results. That's
certainly harder to check.

In my experience, cvs2svn (or cvs2git) does a pretty decent job at that,
even in case of some corruptions. Plus it offers lots of options to fine
tune the conversion, see the attached configuration I've used.

> So, I wouldn't consider any conversion good unless it had all these:
>
> As well as stuff like:
> parsecvs-master:src/backend/access/index/genam.c: * $PostgreSQL$

I disagree here and find it more convenient for the git repository to
keep the "old" RCS versions - as in the source tarballs that got (and
still get) shipped. Just before switching over to git one can (and
should, IMO) remove these tags to avoid confusion.

Regards

Markus Wanner

Attachment Content-Type Size
options.py text/x-python 6.4 KB