== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 31 2009 ==
== PostgreSQL Product News ==
Version 1.9 of Sonar, an Open Source code quality management platform,
now supports PostgreSQL.
== PostgreSQL 8.4 Feature of the Week ==
array_agg(): SQL standard way to aggregate values into an array. Now
it's official ... and faster, too.
== PostgreSQL Tip of the Week ==
If your aggregate queries are being slow, try increasing work_mem.
== PostgreSQL Jobs for June ==
== PostgreSQL Local ==
PGDay Junin / Buenos Aires Unnoba will be on June 6, 2009.
The PostgreSQL/PostGIS community will be meeting in Zurich on June 6,
2009. Details (de_CH) below:
Save The Date: pgDay San Jose. Sunday, July 19th 2009 immediately
before OSCON. CfP, more info TBA!
PGCon Brazil will be take place October 23-24 2009 at Unicamp in
Campinas, Sao Paulo state.
PGDay.EU 2009 will be at Telecom ParisTech in Paris, France on
November 6-7, 2009.
JPUG 10th Anniversary Conference has started its Request for
Proposals. The conference is November 20-21, 2009 in Tokyo, Japan.
== PostgreSQL in the News ==
Planet PostgreSQL: http://planet.postgresql.org/
PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter,
Josh Berkus and Guillaume Smet.
Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)
== Applied Patches ==
Tom Lane committed:
- Add range checks to time_recv() and timetz_recv(), to prevent binary
input of time values that would not be accepted via textual input.
Per gripe from Andrew McNamara. This is potentially a
back-patchable bug fix, but for the moment it doesn't seem
sufficiently high impact to justify doing that.
- Remove unused declarations of EncodeTimeOnly and DecodeTimeOnly.
- Allow the second argument of pg_get_expr() to be just zero when
deparsing an expression that's not supposed to contain variables.
Per discussion with Gevik Babakhani, this eliminates the need for an
ugly kluge (namely, specifying some unrelated relation name).
Remove one such kluge from pg_dump.
- Remove the useless and rather inconsistent return values of
EncodeDateOnly, EncodeTimeOnly, EncodeDateTime, EncodeInterval.
These don't have any good reason to fail, and their callers were
mostly not checking anyway.
- Improve documentation about function volatility: mention the
snapshot visibility effects in a couple of places where people are
likely to look for it. Per discussion of recent question from Karl
- Ignore RECHECK in CREATE OPERATOR CLASS, just throwing a NOTICE,
instead of throwing an error as 8.4 had been doing. The error
interfered with porting old database definitions (particularly for
pg_migrator) without really buying any safety. Per bug #4817 and
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release-8.4.sgml, improve release note
explanation of the change in libpq's handling of default usernames
versus Kerberos tickets. Per confusion about what bug #4824 was
- In pgsql/src/backend/catalog/index.c, update obsolete comment in
index_drop(). When the comment was written, queries frequently took
no lock at all on individual indexes. That's not true any more, but
we still need lock on the parent table to make it safe to use cached
lists of index OIDs.
Bruce Momjian committed:
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml, remove tabs from SGML file.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml, document that forking while having
open libpq connections is not advised.
Michael Meskes committed:
- In pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-exec.c, reverting patch just in
case a compiler treats this enum as signed.
- Change macros to make gcc quiet when parsing.
Peter Eisentraut committed:
- Fix compiler warnings on Sun Studio of the sort '"tsquery_op.c",
line 193: warning: syntax error: empty declaration.' Zdenek Kotala.
- Fix to use the same format specifiers in both branches of a
ngettext(). Zdenek Kotala.
Magnus Hagander committed:
- In pgsql/src/backend/libpq/auth.c, properly return the usermap
result when doing gssapi authentication. Without this, the username
was in practice never matched against the kerberos principal used to
Heikki Linnakangas committed:
- In pgsql/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, when archiving is
enabled, rotate the last WAL segment at shutdown so that all
transactions are archived. Original patch by Guillaume Smet.
== Rejected Patches (for now) ==
No one was disappointed this week :-)
== Pending Patches ==
pgsql-announce by date
|Next:||From: Massimiliano Marini||Date: 2009-06-03 14:52:23|
|Subject: pgtheme for Drupal 6.x released|
|Previous:||From: J S Packiaraj||Date: 2009-05-29 21:28:02|
|Subject: [5/26/2009 10:23:54 PM]Re: Benetl, a free ETL tool for files using postgreSQL, is out in version 2.5 !|