Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Date: 2009-05-29 18:36:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> So, one idea would be, instead of a cast, have pg_migrator rebuild the
> tsvector columns with ALTER TABLE, so then the 8.4 index code could be
> used.  But then we might as well just tell the users to migrate the
> tsvector tables themselves, which is how pg_migrator behaves now.

It would be nice to have pg_migrator handle this, especially if we could
do it in parallel.  Then we just have to warn users that migrating a
database with tsvector columns takes significantly longer.  That is,

1) do rest of catalog swap and link/copy of objects.
2) mark all tsvector columns as 83_tsvector and add new tsvector type
    (these columns will be unusable for queries)
3) bring up database
4) search for all 83_tsvector columns
5) do ALTER TABLE on each of these columns, in parallel, up to a
configuration setting (default 3).

However, I can also understand not having time to implement the above
before 8.4 release.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.