Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date: 2009-05-28 16:58:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 18:02 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> postmaster never sends SIGTERM to pgarch, and postmaster is still alive.
>
> Then we have a regression, since we changed the code to make sure the
> archiver did shutdown even if there was a backlog.

The commit message of the commit that introduced the check for SIGTERM says:

"
Also, modify the archiver process to notice SIGTERM and refuse to issue any
more archive commands if it gets it.  The postmaster doesn't ever send it
SIGTERM; we assume that any such signal came from init and is a notice of
impending whole-system shutdown.  In this situation it seems imprudent
to try
to start new archive commands --- if they aren't extremely quick they're
likely to get SIGKILL'd by init.
"

--
   Heikki Linnakangas