Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From: "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sun blade 1000 donation
Date: 2009-05-28 15:29:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/27/09 22:00, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andy,
>
>> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days.  I was
>> wondering if there were any pg-hackers that could find use for it.
>>
>> Its dual UltraSPARC III 750 (I think) and has two 36? gig fiber channel
>> scsi disks.
>>
>> It weighs a ton.
>>
>> I'd be happy to donate it to a good cause.
>
> Feh, as much as we need more servers, we're really limited in our
> ability to accept stuff which is large & high power consumption.
>
> Now, if we had a DSL line we could hook it to, I could see using it
> for the buildfarm; it would be interesting old HW / old Solaris for us.

Actually I think you can use cutting edge OpenSolaris 2009.06 release
(which will happen in less than a week)  for SPARC on that hardware. I
haven't tried it out on Sun Blade 1000/2000 yet but in theory you can.
Refer to the following thread

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/indiana-discuss/2009-February/014134.html

Though you will need an Automated Installer setup to install OpenSolaris
on SPARC
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/dev/AIinstall/index.html

Regards,
Jignesh