Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?

From: Alex Adriaanse <alex(at)innovacomputing(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?
Date: 2009-05-27 05:12:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
Greg Smith wrote:
> What I'd love to have is a way to rent a fairly serious piece of
> dedicated hardware, ideally with multiple (at least 4) hard drives in
> a RAID configuration and a battery-backed write cache.  The cache is
> negotiable. Linux would be preferred, FreeBSD or Solaris would also
> work; not Windows though (see "good DB performance").
>
> Is anyone aware of a company that offers such a thing?
I've used http://softlayer.com/ in the past and highly recommend them.
They sell a wide range of dedicated servers, including ones that handle
up to 12 HDDs/SSDs, and servers with battery-backed RAID controllers
(I've been told they use mostly Adaptec cards as well as some 3ware
cards).  In addition, all their servers are connected to a private
network you can VPN into, and all include IPMI for remote management
when you can't SSH into your server.  They have a host of other
features; click on the Services tab on their site to find out more.

Alex