Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mikael Krantz <mk(at)zigamorph(dot)se>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date: 2009-05-15 19:55:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 18:46 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> What exactly do you want to change? Patch, please.
>
> I find this exchange between us quite strange. The discussion on this
> thread has been fairly clear. Fujii-san and myself have both asked for
> it to be documented that history files should not be deleted.
>
> The above section says it's "appropriate to keep them around
> indefinitely".
>
> What it doesn't say is if you delete them then you can experience
> problems in certain circumstances, so we advise strongly not do this. It
> would be even better if there was a section on remvong files from the
> archive.

Well, then again it does also say "These history files are necessary to
allow the system to pick the right WAL segment files when recovering
from an archive that contains multiple timelines." Necessary says "do
not delete" to me.

> Do I really need to write a patch to say that, have you formally review
> it, then change the wording to what you would have written in the first
> place and then commit? Really?

Yes. It's not a trivial change for me, you're much better at writing
documentation than I am. And it's still not 100% clear to me what you're
having in mind.

> How many years do all of us have to work
> together before we develop an efficient process for trivial changes such
> as this?

It sure is a pain at times :-)

--
Heikki Linnakangas