Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

From: Paolo Rizzi <gis(at)oicom(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date: 2009-05-11 11:41:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

>> Are you saying that PostgreSQL+PostGIS can actually run on a
>> smartphone??? Intriguing...
>> Did anyone ever actually tried that???
>
> If it's a supported CPU type and you've got a suitable build toolchain,
> sure. Seven or eight years ago we were getting a good laugh out of the
> fact that you could run PG on a PlayStation 2.
Good to know!!! I imagine that on a PS3 it would be _really_ fast... :-)

> The real issue with the kind of hardware you're describing is going to
> be the finite write lifetime of a flash device. For a low-update
> application it'll probably be okay, but PG could very easily destroy a
> flash in no time if you aren't careful to minimize updates.
This is something I thought about too, but it's something that those
people (this client of mine) should be well aware of, anyway I'll point
it out for them.

Anyway it seems interesting the fact that newer Flashes use several
techniques, such as wear leveling, to spread writes across the least
used cells. But this leads to files physical fragmentation, and it may
be a case where sequential scans are actually slower than random ones!!!

> regards, tom lane

Bye
Paolo