Re: BUG #4801: Performance failure: 600 MB written to each WAL log

From: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Peter Much <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4801: Performance failure: 600 MB written to each WAL log
Date: 2009-05-08 12:59:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Peter Much wrote:

> I perceived it only during "vaccum full" yet, but then a long-running
> "vacuum full" on a large table is the only significant activity on the
> server. (I know that "vacuum full" may not be really necessary, but
> I think it should practically function.)

[..........]

Hei

How large is that 'large table' you are talking about?

Our experience says that you don't need vacuum full at all when
administrating a postgres database. Specially if the database is large
and in production.

vacuum full on a large database has so long execution time and uses so
many resources (IO/ram/time) that it is almost useless. If you have such
a problem with your database, that you need the functionality delivered
by vacuum full, it is better to export and import your database.

This does not explain your problem, but maybe if you can avoid running
vacuum full unnecessarily, you will also avoid this problem you are
experiencing.

regards
--
Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/