Totally weird behaviour in org.postgresql.Driver

From: "Peter" <peter(at)greatnowhere(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Totally weird behaviour in org.postgresql.Driver
Date: 2009-03-11 13:43:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
My app used to work fine until I started getting tons of
NullPointerExceptions in org.postgresql.Driver:586

for (int tmp = 0;tmp < protocols.length;tmp++)
I traced into that line and 'protocols' variable is null. That variable is
private static, and is not being assigned to anywhere outside the
constructor (why isnt it 'final'?). I'm totally at loss why and how
protocols can become null. JVM bug perhaps? This is Tomcat 6 running on
Ubuntu 8.10, and my webapp uses BlazeDS.

Any ideas? Could this be due to improper synchronization somewhere in my
app?

Peter

pgsql-jdbc by date

Subject: Re: a possible bug in postgresql jdbc driver