Re: idea: global temp tables

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>,"PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: idea: global temp tables
Date: 2009-04-29 15:24:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> The whole point of having the schema declared in advance and then
> having each procedure execution have access to a private (or
> non-private) data store following that predefined schema is to avoid
> having to execute any catalog changes with all the locking and
> catalog i/o that DDL requires.
Global temporary tables are not shared between connections.  Look back
to Pavel's original post; he's looking for a convenience -- a way to
have a temporary table materialized for a connection on reference,
not meant to be better in performance than creating a temporary table
explicitly on the fly and adding all these things, it's meant to
provide a consistent definition which can be materialized and used on
demand.  Nothing more; nothing less.  I understand not everyone has a
need for such a thing, but isn't that true of most features in
If you're saying we can implement the standard's global temporary
tables in a way that performs better than current temporary tables,
that's cool.  That would be a nice "bonus" in addition to the
application programmer convenience and having another tick-mark on the
standards compliance charts.  Do you think that's feasible?  If not,
the feature would be useful to some with the same performance that
temporary tables currently provide.